Monday, May 8, 2017

Maslow's 3 Idiots

Preface: Before starting on my trip to Khandwa last week, I was part of one of the corporate training and in there, somebody mentioned Maslow and his pyramid, and there was a brief discussion about it.
During the discussion, I could recall, how we had referred to Maslow on many occasions during the various MBA classes. Not to mention, the Maslow 'pyramid of needs' forms an integral part of any people management training even in the corporate world.


So, here I was, in my car, playing the Indian song game of Antakshari, when suddenly my 10 year old niece started singing "Behti hawa sa tha wo .." a very popular song from equally popular Hindi movie '3 Idiots'; and she went on .. "hum ko to raahe thi chalati, wo khud apni raah banata .." [In days when we were being walked by the paths laid down for us, he created his own path] and suddenly the whole training thingy and discussion on Maslow hit me.

It was a blogger's moment for me, and in that moment, I could relate it all - It's Maslow - It's Maslow all over the movie 3 Idiots.

Well, we all know that a person can fall under one or more of the categories of Maslow's needs hierarchy and that they are not essentially sequential or dependent on each other [yes, I know, to be having self-actualization, one must first eat well; but the mind doesn't necessarily prefer food to self actualization].

So, here goes:
Raju Rastogi, striving for physiological and security needs;
Pia looking for Belonging and love;
Chatur & Suhas and also Pia's dead brother, striving for Belonging and Esteem needs;
Farhan who successfully transcends from Belonging and Esteem needs to Self Actualization, by the end of this movie;
and of course,
Rancho, the protagonists, who is seen in the zone of Self Actualization, all along the movie.

Amazing isn't it?

Well, once you have established this relation, then whether you are an MBA student or a HR person or a people manager or a regular reader of parsooram's blogs, I think you will remember Maslow forever.

I know, I know - you all are now wondering, where does THE VIRUS fit in this whole Maslow pyramid?
Well, I will leave it for the readers of this blog to answer through their comments :-P

Till then, how about we suggest the makers of the movie to add an alias to the movie title, and start also calling it as "Maslow's 3 Idiots" :-)

- parsooram

No comments:

Post a Comment